Tuesday, March 3, 2009

23 weeks

He is now about the size of a mango, measuring 11 inches long and weighing about 1 pound.

In the coming weeks your baby will continue to grow and mature a fast rate, gaining about 6 ounces of weight a week. (wow!) By week 23, the blood vessels in his lungs, important for breathing outside the womb, are developing. His lips are becoming more distinct, and his eyes continue to develop, though they still lack color. Also, by this week, the bones in his middle ear start to harden.

Next week, he'll be developing white blood cells (protect against disease/infection). :)

Chris has felt him moving/kicking a few times now, and often says good morning to him when we cross paths getting ready for work. :) I enjoy Chris' interest in him...

I have been reading a wonderful book that my dear sister-in-law Cathy (in Haiti as of today on a mission trip--pray for her) gave us for Christmas: "The Shaping of a Christian Family", by Elisabeth Elliot. I highly recommend it to any parent, parent-to-be, etc. I've found quite a number of things I would like to apply to our household. It takes 2-3 chapters before it becomes more on the applicable side (FYI).

I read the research conclusion that your child is shaped the most in the first 7 years, and especially the first 3, so it's got me motivated to read up on these parenting books, so we'll be well informed right away (of course we know we'll learn as we go too).

Next on my/our list: Shepherding a Child's Heart
Then others (after purchasing them): The 10 Best Decisions Any Parent Can Make, Raising a Modern Day Knight, Bringing Up Boys (we got the DVD set of this for my brother/sis-in-law 2 Christmases ago, after they had my nephew...we may have to borrow ;).

If you have any further recommendations, feel free...it might take me/us awhile to get through these though.

No comments: